Oral Cancer Screening in Frederick MD
Our office is not only dedicated to your smile, we’re also dedicated to your overall wellness. We take a holistic approach to your dental care, which includes an oral cancer screening as a part of your regular exam. Like many kinds of cancer, oral cancer can be life-threatening if not diagnosed and treated early.
We have the skills and tools to ensure that early signs and symptoms of oral cancer and pre-cancerous conditions are identified. While these symptoms may be caused by other, less serious problems, it is very important to visit our office to rule out the possibility of oral cancer. The most common symptoms of oral cancer include:
- Red or white spots or sores anywhere in the oral cavity
- A sore that bleeds easily or does not heal
- A lump, thickening, or rough spot
- Pain, tenderness, or numbness anywhere in the mouth or on the lips
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
Our team is trained in a simple, quick screening that involves an examination of your oral cavity as a whole, and not just your teeth, to detect cancerous and precancerous conditions. Besides a visual examination of your mouth, we will also feel the tissue of your mouth and throat to detect any abnormalities. If we find an area of concern, we may perform a simple test, such as a brush test, which collects cells from a suspicious lesion in the mouth to be sent to a laboratory for analysis. If this test comes back atypical or positive, we may recommend a biopsy.
Aside from receiving an oral cancer screening during your checkup at our office, there are many things you can do to help prevent oral cancer.
- The best way to prevent oral cancer is to avoid all tobacco products and only drink alcohol in moderation.
- Maintain a healthy, balanced diet.
- Limit your exposure to the sun and always wear UV-A/B-blocking, sun-protective lotions on your skin as well as your lips.
- During your next dental appointment, ask your dentist to perform an oral exam. Early detection of oral cancer can improve the chance of successful treatment
If you experience any of the symptoms, contact our Frederick dental office and make an appointment. We are here to help: (301) 846-0433
Visiting Esthetique Dentistry was probably the best experience I have had with a dental practice ever. You can tell that they pay attention to detail and take time to ensure a holistic view of your dental health is considered. I would recommend the practice to anyone.
After moving to the area I needed to find a dentist to do some extensive work – my wife and I found Esthetique Dentistry and we could not be happier. The staff is polite professional and understanding. Everything is clearly explained, questions are invited and answered, and most importantly patient comfort is a priority.
I have a dentist phobia but everyone at Esthetique made me feel so welcome and at home. From the awesome staff at the front desk, Diana in customer service, the dental assistants and hygienists and finally to Dr. Talwar – my experience could not have been better. The office is clean, state of the art.